Progress Florida is hiring a digital director for a senior leadership role within the organization to help us win a more progressive Florida. You will work closely with the Florida Communications and Research Hub, the Floridians for Reproductive Freedom Coalition, and the state’s leading progressive organizations to win critical issue battles in the Florida Legislature, Congress, and other arenas. You will be in a leadership role as part of a team working to secure victories on Election Day for progressive candidates who put the public interest ahead of powerful special interests.
We are looking for someone who has experience working with diverse communities. Candidates considered for this position will embody a strong work ethic, creativity, keen attention to detail, and a passion for winning social change. Applicants should have at least five years of full-time relevant experience creating and implementing effective digital strategies involving a range of tactics from email to social media, paid advertising, and more.
Founded in 2008, Progress Florida promotes progressive values through digital organizing, media outreach, new and traditional communications strategies and tactics, and close collaboration with Florida's leading progressive organizations.
The Florida Communications & Research Hub is a partnership between Progress Florida and Florida Watch that provides communications infrastructure for Florida’s progressive organizations and coalitions. Progress Florida’s digital organizing is driven by quantitative and qualitative research used to create engaging, authentic, and Florida-specific content to support our mission.
- Run engaging digital campaigns on issues that include civil rights, reproductive freedom, immigration reform, economic fairness, environmental protection, fair courts, healthcare reform, better public schools, protecting the freedom to vote and more.
- Work with a team of digital organizers and designers to convert research and messaging guidance into creative content that compels Floridians to take action to win a more progressive Florida.
- Work with Progress Florida staff and the Florida Communications & Research Hub team to develop and implement paid digital campaigns to win issue battles and elections, including executing digital ad buys on various platforms.
- Grow and nurture our email list of progressive Floridians — deepen support, increase engagement, and raise small donor money.
- Writing content for online actions, websites, social media, infographics, memes, and other creative.
- Oversee the buildout of new websites and ensure ongoing “freshness” and maintenance of our current portfolio of websites and microsites.
- Grow the reach, engagement level, and impact of Progress Florida’s social media presence on Twitter, Facebook, and other social media platforms
- Track and analyze key metrics throughout our digital program and look for opportunities to test and improve our emails, online fundraising, action campaigns, digital ads, and social media content.
- Five or more years’ full time professional experience in digital organizing and communications work with advocacy organizations or political campaigns.
- Excellent persuasive and creative writing skills. People tell you - “you are a good writer.”
- Experience with nonprofit/advocacy/political CRMs like NGP/EveryAction, Action Network, ActionKit, etc.
- Understanding of the WordPress CMS along with site building tools like Elementor, and basic knowledge of server-side tools to update and maintain WordPress websites.
- Knowledge of best practices in email-activist organizing and social media strategies and tactics.
- Ability to manage multiple projects at once in a fast paced, team-oriented work environment.
- Able to work the flexible hours necessary in a rapid-response, political campaign style environment.
- Excellent judgment and discretion and the ability to oversee significant projects and manage staff.
- A passion for advancing progressive issues, electing progressive candidates, and a desire to make the world better.
Great to haves
- An avid follower of the news and current events.
- Spanish language proficiency and/or experience working in multi-racial or cross-economic status settings.
- Basic working knowledge of HTML and/or CSS.
- The ability to produce creative graphics or video for use in email alerts, social media, and websites.
Compensation & Benefits
The compensation range for this position is $37-$65k and depends on relevant experience and education. We offer an excellent benefits package including medical, dental, and vision insurance for employees and dependents, needs-based student loan assistance, a retirement plan with employer match, paid time off, parental leave and long-term disability insurance. We also offer an excellent training program and opportunities for advancement.
Location and Travel
Florida — any city. This is a remote position with a virtual office setup. Travel requirements are minimal — mostly in-state a few times per year with one or two out of state trips per year for training, conferences, and staff retreats.
Send a cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org and include “digital director” in the subject line.
Progress Florida is an equal opportunity employer and welcomes applications from all qualified persons regardless of their race, sex, disability, religion/belief, sexual orientation, or age.