Florida Conservation Voters Education Fund (FCVEF) works to turn environmental values into national, state, and local priorities. FCVEF, in collaboration with our national partner the League of Conservation Voters Education Fund (LCVEF), advocates for strong environmental protections and builds and amplifies the voices of communities of color and other key constituencies who are disproportionately impacted by environmental issues.
FCVEF works to protect and advocate for racial, social, and environmental justice. Engaging communities of color, among other key constituencies for the environment, is an organizational priority. Within the organization, we aim to create a workplace culture, policies, and practices that promote equity and inclusion.
Over the last three election cycles, FCVEF’s and our national partner LCVEF have established a track record of success running top-quality nonpartisan voter registration efforts. LCVEF has helped nearly 900,000 individuals register to vote. LCVEF and many state leagues partners have also prioritized increasing our efforts to protect and promote voting rights. These issues are central to the success of environmental priorities and are therefore central to the success of the conservation voters’ movement. Moving into 2020, FCVEF and LCVEF expect significant and sustained growth within their Civic Engagement programs.
FCVEF is seeking a Civic Engagement Director who has strong experience in management, elections, political organizing, voter registration, and executing programs at scale. This person will oversee a growing state-wide, site-based voter registration effort. This will involve hiring, training, and developing staff, as well as managing relationships and day-to-day activities necessary to successfully accomplish program goals. We are looking for a creative, motivated leader with an organizing background who is goal-driven and detail-oriented.
- Recruit, train, and manage a staff of paid (hourly) area canvass directors, area coordinators, and quality control staff;
- Track and report data and progress related to voter registration efforts;
- Ensure program is executed with a high standard of quality control and professionalism;
- Oversee an extensive follow-up program targeted at new registrants;
- Help build a community organizing program that will launch in late 2019 as the next phase of this voter registration program;
- Work with senior staff of FCVEF and LCVEF to set and accomplish program goals;
- Other organizing activities as needed.
- Attend coalition meetings across Florida to build relationships, identify opportunities for engagement, and advance the goals of FCVEF programs.
- Manage and maintain relationships with the Civic Engagement State Table and funding partners.
- Minimum of 2-3 years of experience working on voter registration, electoral, community organizing, or labor organizing campaigns, including successful experience managing campaigns focused on communities of color;
- Experience managing people and implementing staff policies;
- Working knowledge of online database and field reporting systems, or the ability to learn them;
- Ability to work a campaign schedule including long hours, evening, and weekend work;
- Willingness to take directives and implement a complex program plan;
- Applicant must be legally eligible to work in the United States and Florida.
- Experience working with coalitions and developing partnerships to advance shared goals;
- Exceptional leadership, supervision, management, and coaching skills including managing remote staff;
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills;
- Attention to detail;
- Flexibility, self-awareness, emotional intelligence, and a sense of humor are preferred;
- Ability to juggle multiple tasks, solve problems, and set priorities in a fast-paced, high-performance environment;
- Ability to represent FCVEF and LCVEF to a variety of audiences and through a variety of mediums;
- Reliable, consistent, detail-oriented, and self-motivated;
- Culturally competent.
Spanish Language preferred but not required.
Must share a commitment to advancing racial justice and equity and ensuring an inclusive organizational culture. Must also have a complex understanding of priorities in communities of color and potential for effective civic engagement.
Ability to work evenings, travel extensively, and work overtime with little notice. This position will often require non-traditional hours. Our voter registration base of operations will be in South Florida (Palm Beach, Broward or Miami-Dade counties).
To Apply: Send your resume and a cover letter explaining why you want to work for FCV and how this position fits into your long-term career goals to email@example.com. Please include “FCVEF Civic Engagement Director” in the subject line. Position open until filled. Salary is commensurate with experience, ranging from $50,000 to $55,000.
FCV is an Equal Opportunity Employer Committed to an Equitable, Inclusive, and Diverse Workplace.