The next Attorney General of the United States could be a right wing extremist with a deplorable record on the rights and freedoms we as Americans cherish. President-Elect Donald Trump's nomination of Alabama Sen. Jeff Sessions for attorney general needs to be stopped and our US Senators need to hear from us.
The US Attorney General is responsible for enforcing the laws of our country. Sen. Session's record as a US Attorney, state attorney general, and US Senator clearly demonstrates he is not the person who should be enforcing our laws:
- He voted against laws to protect women from workplace discrimination and domestic violence while working to undermine reproductive rights at every turn.
- In 1986, a Republican Senate determined that Jeff Sessions was too racist to serve as a U.S. District Court judge1.
- His record on civil rights is contemptible, prosecuting African-American voting rights activists in Alabama for registering voters and praising the gutting of the Voting Rights Act.
- He has opposed reducing the corrupting influence of money in politics and has received several awards from big business lobby groups.
- He is one of the Senate’s most anti-immigration members, opposing any comprehensive reform effort while championing draconian enforcement that would tear families apart.
The US Attorney General is supposed to be the “people’s lawyer” but it’s clear from Sen. Sessions’ record that he would be a lawyer solely for right wing extremism and powerful corporate interests.
Thanks for all you do in the fight for justice for all.
PS: As we saw last week, phone calls can make a real difference. Congressional Republicans abruptly ended their attempt to gut the independent ethics watchdog tasked with overseeing Congress after receiving a flood of phone calls opposing their scheme. Take a minute right now and call Sens. Nelson and Rubio about Sen. Session's nomination. Thanks!
1"That time the Senate denied Jeff Sessions a federal judgeship over accusations of racism" Washington Post, 11/18/16.