Florida Conservation Voters (FCV) works to turn environmental values into local, state, and national priorities. FCV advocates for strong environmental policies, holds elected officials accountable for their votes and actions, and elects pro-environment candidates who will champion our priority issues.
FCV is committed to engaging new constituencies and to diversifying the environmental movement. Through grassroots community outreach programs, FCV aims to foster strong local and state leadership within Latino and African American communities to build partnerships focused on addressing our state’s most important environmental issues, like protecting our drinking water and fighting the harmful effects of pollution and climate change.
FCV is looking for a creative and motivated organizer who is goal driven and experienced in movement building to help us launch our outreach efforts in the Greater Orlando area. Working primarily with volunteers, this is an opportunity to amplify local community power, develop local leaders and move our conservation agenda locally, statewide and nationally.
Core responsibilities include:
- Developing relationships and partnerships with African American and Latino community leaders, organizations, businesses and policymakers.
- Working closely with FCV’s Deputy Director to develop, implement and evaluate issue organizing campaigns that successfully recruit volunteers, build grassroots leaders, and get the attention of decision-makers and media.
- Identifying, training and managing motivated leaders and volunteers to work as independent teams, ensuring they have the resources, plans and tools needed to meet short and long-term goals.
- Tracking organizing work, including developing and monitoring reports on volunteer recruitment and leadership development.
- Meeting with elected officials and agency staff to enhance our understanding of existing environmental and energy programs and identify opportunities for improvement.
- Collaborate with FCV’s Communications team to create media opportunities and increase coverage of the program and campaigns.
- Participating in select fundraising meetings and events with FCV’s Executive Director and other staff.
Applicants must have the following qualifications:
- Experience with volunteer outreach, training volunteers, forming alliances with other groups, and leading volunteers in a team-style structure.
- Vision for best practices on training volunteers and developing local community leaders.
- Core understanding of how to plan and execute strategic campaigns.
- Ability to work both independently and part of a team.
- Excellent spoken and written communication skills, including experience with Microsoft Office programs like Word, Excel and Powerpoint.
- Strong organizational and time management skills, including an ability to prioritize and effectively manage multiple tasks in a fast-paced work environment and an ability to be a creative problem-solver who is resourceful and resilient in challenging or new situations.
- Commitment to increasing racial diversity in the environmental movement and ensuring an inclusive organizational culture.
- Valid driver’s license/insurance, access to car and willingness/ability to conduct house and site visits, including some nights/weekends.
- Access to a smartphone and laptop computer.
Preference will be given to applicants with:
- Fluency in more than one language, Spanish preferred.
- Demonstrated commitment to conservation, environmental justice and organizing around our core issues.
- Existing relationships with grassroots organizations and community leaders in Central Florida.
This is a full-time salaried position. Salary range is $33,000 to $38,000, commensurate with experience.
Please send your resume and cover letter via email explaining why you want to work for FCV in this position and how this position fits into your long-term career goals to email@example.com with “FCV Lead Organizer” in the subject line by August 31, 2017.
FCV is an Equal Opportunity Employer Committed to a Diverse, Inclusive and Equitable Workplace.