Florida (c)(3) Civic Engagement Table, the state affiliate of State Voices, seeks a data-driven, trained technician with a passion for civic engagement and social justice to serve as its Data & Targeting Director.
The Data & Targeting Driver drives training and support for partner organizations to take a data-driven approach and to integrate tools such as VAN into their organizing & advocacy work. We are looking for someone with a rare skill set: expertise using VAN, Catalist data, and census related databases, as well as the ability to translate the purpose and value of these tools to a wide range of audiences and partner organizations within Florida. This position reports to the Florida Executive Director. The desired start date for the Data & Targeting Director is no later than April 10, 2017.
About Florida (c)(3) Civic Engagement Table: Florida 501(c)3 Civic Engagement Table is a state based collaboration (“Table”) formed to improve long-term coordination and communication among nonprofit, socially responsible civic engagement organizations in Florida. Our Table’s nonpartisan mission is to engage underrepresented and socially responsible voters in the democratic process and to establish collective action around common issue areas. Those issue areas include voting rights, quality and affordable health care, economic justice, civil rights, improving public education and more.
Florida 501(c)(3) Civic Engagement Table is an affiliate of State Voices, a national network that encompasses nonpartisan civic engagement tables in 22 states.
Role of the Data and Targeting Director: The Data and Targeting Director’s mission is to enable Florida (c)(3) Civic Engagement Table partner organizations to make data-driven, strategic choices in their program work. The Data & Targeting Director also serves as an analyst of trends in the larger 501(c)(3) civic engagement community in Florida, specifically providing insight into the behavior, trends, and concentration of the state’s New American Majority, which consists of people of color, voters under age 35, and voters in low-income households.
- Advise and train partner organizations on the use of voter contact tools and assist them in integrating appropriate voter contact and data tools into their civic engagement programs.
- Conduct data analysis on programs and make strategic recommendations to inform collaborative program plans as well as individual group plans.
- Work closely with the Executive Director and table staff to develop targeting strategies for voter engagement, advocacy campaigns, activist mobilization and other organizing efforts.
- Produce reports and other materials needed to track, support, coordinate and identify gaps in collective strategy.
- Work with partner organizations and the State Voices network to establish and maintain best practices and standards for data collection, data acquisition and preservation.
- Administer voter file system for Florida (c)(3) Civic Engagement Table and partners. This includes managing user and security settings; providing technical assistance; and monitoring use of the system to ensure compliance with state and national policies.
- Identify and champion opportunities to conduct tests and experiments; assist program staff and partners in facilitating and executing experiments.
- Other duties, as assigned.
Qualifications: The ideal candidate for this position will possess many, if not all, of the following qualifications:
- 2+ years in a data related field or two cycles of experience in either candidate or issue-based campaigns, with an understanding of direct voter contact programs.
- Strong data management and analysis skills in VAN (or comparable sophisticated database) and Excel skills required. Familiarity with census data, online electoral tools such as Catalist and with other constituent relationship management tools is a plus.
- Experience in conducting technical trainings for partners.
- Ability to manage several tasks/projects concurrently and prioritize work effectively.
- Diplomatic, professional approach to problem solving and the ability to think independently and creatively.
- Ability to communicate effectively, work well under pressure, be detail oriented and meet deadlines.
- Strong interpersonal skills and ability to work across multiple communities and in diverse settings.
- Must be a self-starter; willing to occasionally work irregular hours and travel as needed.
- Experience working with a state table as staff or table partner staff is desirable.
- Proficiency with Microsoft Office, Internet organizing, and social media.
Location: South Florida
Compensation: Compensation is competitive and negotiable depending on background and experience, and includes a full benefits package.
To apply, please send resume, cover letter, and salary requirements to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please indicate “FL Data Director” in the email subject line. Resumes will be accepted until the position is filled; however, preference will be given to resumes received by March 3, 2017. Please, no phone calls.
Equal employment opportunity and having a diverse staff are fundamental principles at State Voices, where employment and promotional opportunities are based upon individual capabilities and qualifications without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, pregnancy, sexual orientation, age, national origin, marital status, citizenship, disability, veteran status or any other protected characteristic as established under law.
About State Voices:
State Voices is helping create a fair and just society in America by making our democracy more accessible, inclusive, and representative. Our network of nonpartisan, state-based coalitions works with hundreds of grassroots organizations to break down barriers to civic participation, restore confidence in government, and bring historically marginalized populations - and their issues - to the center of public discourse. Both nationally and in the states, we are building a community of collaboration, innovation, and equity that amplifies the impact of our partners. State Voices seeks to catalyze this social change by pursuing these three long-term goals:
- In every state where there is a State Voices table, democratic institutions will be models of inclusion, accessibility, and fair representation.
- Every State Voices table will be a hub for integrated civic engagement activity that demonstrates the collective impact of progressive c3 organizations.
- Every State Voices table will be a transformative, multicultural coalition effectively building the power of leaders and organizations from underrepresented and marginalized communities.
To learn more, please visit: www.statevoices.org